Committed to Education Since 1961
With an influx of Catholics into the Pocono Mountain area in the mid-1900s, the Diocese of Scranton realized that a Catholic school was a necessary to serve the people of this area. In 1958, Monsignor Connell McHugh, pastor of St. Mary of the Mount in Mt Pocono, began the momentous task of building a new school. His strong relationship with Mother M. Kathleen Hart of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Congregation fueled his vision of staffing the school with IHM Sisters.
On September 27, 1959, construction began on the 40 acre site in Cresco that would be home to Pocono Catholic Mission School. Less than two years later, on September 18, 1961, the school opened its doors to 402 students ranging from kindergarten to 9th grade.
After the passing of Monsignor Connell McHugh in 1971, Bishop McCormick renamed the elementary portion of the school “Monsignor McHugh Elementary School” creating a more defined separation between the elementary school and the high school then called Pocono Central Catholic High School.
Shifting demographics in the region saw the consolidation of the regions two Catholic high schools into one, and this is when Msgr. McHugh Elementary school came to stand on its own.
Since its founding, Msgr. McHugh School has been committed to the education and formation of children helping to prepare them to become successful and responsible members of society while celebrating our Christian Catholic tradition.